Oral Pathology & Microbiology
The specialty Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology is concerned with diagnosis and study of the causes and effects of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial region. It represents the combination of the basic sciences and clinical dentistry. The Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology is currently on the fifth floor of MGM Dental College and Hospital and was established in 2004. The aim of our department is to achieve academic excellence in the discipline of Oral Pathology and Microbiology and compassionately serve the community through qualitative diagnostic interventions. In our department we provide effective service through qualitative diagnostic procedures like haematology, cytopathology and histopathology There are 03 MDS seats available in our speciality besides the undergraduate programme. In 2019, Fellowship course in Forensic odontology (1 year MUHS certified course) has been introduced with an intake capacity of 05 students. The undergraduate programme includes the subject of Oral Anatomy and Histology in I year BDS and Oral Pathology and Microbiology in the III year BDS. We guide the undergraduate and postgraduate students in understanding the normal anatomy and histology of oral tissues as well as the pathophysiology of oral diseases and develop the practical skills needed in the diagnosis and management of the same. The students are motivated to present papers and posters at various forums. We also encourage them to take up scientific research studies and publish the same in national and international journals. Faculty of the department continuously stimulate themselves by attending various CDE programs and workshops conducted on national, state and local forum. We also strive to motivate our peers by organising CDE programs and workshops.
Dr. Shilpa C. Patel, Professor & HOD
- BDS:GDC&H AHEMEDABAD,GUJARAT UNIVERSITY,1991
- MDS:GDC&H AHEMEDABAD,GUJARAT UNIVERSITY,1994
- UG:25 YEARS
- PG:10 YEARS
- Life membership in IOAMP
Dr Jigna Pathak, Professor
Best Teacher Award in 2016 nominated by the students
- BDS:D Y Patil Dental College, Navi Mumbai,Mumbai University,1998
- MDS:Nair Hospital Dental College,Mumbai,Mumbai University,2001
- PG CERTIFICATION COURSE IN FORENSIC SCIENCE AND FORENSIC ODONTOLOGY:International Forensic Science (IFS) Institute, Pune, 2020
Dr. Niharika Swain, Reader
"Best specialist of the year" in the category of Oral Pathologists by FAMDENT in 2015.
- BDS:Dental Wing, SCB Medical College and Hospital, Cuttack,Utkal University, Bhubaneswar,2002.
- MDS:Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College & Hospital, Kolkata, West Bengal University of Health Sciences,2010.
- PhD:MGM School of Biotechnology, MGM Institute of Health Sciences, Ongoing.
- Best paper presentation: International Conference on “Advances in Biological Sciences” on September 19, 2020
- Gyan Scholarship award in International NGBT Conference, Mumbai. 2019
- "Best specialist of the year" in the category of Oral Pathologists by FAMDENT in 2015.
- Life membership in IOAMP
Dr Kamlesh Dekate, Associate Professor
- BDS:GDC, Mumabi University,2000
- MDS:GDC, Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University,2006
- PhD:MGM School of Biotechnology, MGM IHS, Ongoing
- Member in IDA
Dr. Rashmi M. Hosalkar, Lecturer
- BDS:KLE’s Institute of Dental Sciences,Belgaum, Karnataka,2007
- MDS:MGM’s Dental College & Hospital, Kamothe, Navi Mumbai,2015
- Lifetime membership in IAOMP Member in IDA
- Secured award for Best Specialist of the Year - Oral Pathology at Famdent Excellence Dental Awards 2016 held in Mumbai in December.
- Secured first position as co –author in paper presentation on “Actinomycosis: A rear insight in not so rare lesions” in XXII National Conference oraganised by Indian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathologist, November 2013 held in Mumbai.
- Secured first position and presented poster on Aero Therapy in XI Scientific Convention, August 2008 oraganised by KLE’s Institute of Dental Sciences, Belgaum.
- Secured highest marks in Subject of Conservative Dentistry &Endodontics in Final Year BDS Examination held by RGUHS in 2007 among fellow colleagues.
Dr. Shraddha Walekar Ghaisas, Lecturer
- BDS:SMBT Dental College,MUHS,2010
- MDS:SMBT Dental College,MUHS,2016
- Membership in IOAMP
- IDA member
Awards / Honors Received:
- Best paper presentation award at National Triple O Symposium 2014, Udaipur.
Dr Yogita Penkar, Tutor